The benefits of water birth are seemingly endless! Here are some of our favorites.
- Warm water is soothing, comforting, relaxing.
- Warm water acts a method of pain relief.
- Decreases the incidences of intervention, and thus, Cesarean Sections.
- The effect of buoyancy lessens a mother’s body weight, allowing free movement and new positioning, as well as a sensation of floating.
- Buoyancy promotes more efficient uterine contractions and improved blood circulation resulting in better oxygenation of the uterine muscles, less pain for the mother, and more oxygen for the baby.
- Immersion in water often helps lower high blood pressure caused by anxiety.
- The water seems to reduce stress-related hormones, allowing the mother’s body to produce endorphins which serve as pain-inhibitors.
- Water causes the perineum to become more elastic and relaxed, reducing the incidence and severity of tearing and the need for an episiotomy and stitches.
- As the laboring women relaxes physically, she is able to relax mentally with greater ability to focus on the birth process.
- Since the water provides a greater sense of privacy, it can reduce inhibitions, anxiety, and fears.
Benefits for Baby:
- Provides an environment similar to the amniotic sac.
- Eases the stress of the birth thus increasing reassurance and sense of security.
Water labor and birth is available at home or in our birth center’s built in luxury birthing tubs.